Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Little Bit About Eagle Mountain

Eagle Mountain is located just West of Utah Lake and Lake Moutain which are also located west of Provo, Utah. It is also about 40 minutes Southwest of Salt Lake City. The city is very new and has grown rapidly over its short existence. It was incorporated in 1996 and by the year 2000 it had just over 2100 inhabitants. But by 2008 there about 22,000 people living in the city and the estimates to the current date are around 25,000. By land mass the city is the 3rd largest in the state of Utah with over 54 square miles. There is plenty of room to grown as only a small percentage of the land has been used. The city is made up of two different communities. "The Ranches" subdivision is located to the North while the city center area is located in a central location. One would almost think that these two areas are two completely different cities. About 2/3 of the population is located within "The Ranches" HOA and the rest live in the city center.
I began as the City Planning and GIS intern on May 10, 2010. It was a great experience as it allowed me to put to use what I studied at BYU. GIS wasn't really my area of expertise but luckily I took three classes on GIS and I tried to incorporate what I learned in those classes to help finish projects in my planning classes. I look forward creating future posts to show the projects I worked on.



1 comment:

  1. What is GIS? I'm looking forward to seeing what your projects you've been working on. I didn't even know that jobs like this existed. Sounds like a fast-growing community, which probably means you've had to make lots of decisions.

    ReplyDelete